There are many things I love to do with freshly grilled corn besides eating it off the cob and this cold salad is one of them. If you have leftover grilled corn on hand this is an easy and tasty way “to get rid of it”. It’s got a hint of heat from the chili and a fresh flavor from the young fennel fronds and lemon juice. This cool salad goes great along with BBQ’d meat from the grill and helps to balance the heat.
The Best Food's Organic Mayonnaise used in this recipe, has a light and creamy flavor. I’ve used the Original version but they also make a lot of other delicious flavors such as the Spicy Chipotle and Roasted Garlic which you could add in this salad. Just remember depending on the type of mayonnaise used the flavor of the final salad will change a little.
Here are some of my kitchen tips that you might find useful when preparing this salad;
• You can grill the corn over the fire or in the oven. The more it’s charred the better the flavor. However, when mixing the corn with the mayonnaise, make sure the corn is cooled to room temperature or cold or else the heat will cause the mayonnaise to fall apart.
• I like to use the younger bright green fronds of the fennel bulb for the garnish.
corn and fennel salad
yields: 2 to 4 servings
2 cups grilled corn
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced into rings
1 cup Best Foods Organic Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon fennel fronds, chopped
1. Toss the corn and fennel in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
2. In a small bowl, mix the remaining ingredients from the mayonnaise to the pepper. Fold the
dressing into the corn and fennel.
3. Garnish the salad with the fennel fronds. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serve