One of my favorite things to do when I work on my blog posts is to sit in the bedroom and have the curtains to the doors pulled back all the way, simply because I can glance outside and enjoy the view of my little garden. It's even more exciting when spring arrives, because I impatiently indulge in multiple glimpses of the little tips of green that are sprouting through the soil or budding off the branches. Not that the incessant staring will make them come any sooner but more so because it reminds me of what my garden looked like in previous year and what it might look this time. I have a mid-shade of a green thumb, I can grow some plants with ease and others, well not so much. I keep getting a little better each year, learning what really works well with me and my garden. Mind you my garden is not huge, it's a tiny semicircle of open soil that I am super thankful for, especially when you live in a city, it's my little oasis.
To give spring a much needed warm welcome, I've teamed up with a bunch of wonderful and talented bloggers in a fantastic giveaway organized by the very wonderful Katie Webster of Healthy Seasonal Recipes. There are several wonderful prizes that one lucky person will win. To enter the giveaway, simply follow the instructions in the widget at the bottom of the post. Good luck and do visit the other participating bloggers and check out their delicious recipes! The giveaway begins on April 11, 2013 and ends on April 16, 2014 at 9:00am PST.
Here's what's to be won in the goodie bag!
From Vermont Creamery: A Taste of Vermont Creamery Gift Package and In a Cheesemakers Kitchen Cookbook.
From JK Adams: A set of Coupe Appetizer Plates (2 pieces.)
From Calivirgin: 1 8.45 ounce bottle of roasted garlic olive oil, 1 8.45 ounce bottle of the rosemary infused olive oil and 1 8.45 ounce bottle balsamic vinegar.
From Effie’s homemade: 10 packages of crackers (2 oat, 2 corn, 2 nut, 2 cocoa, 2 rye.)
Disclaimer: I did not receive any financial compensation from the participating sponsors in this giveaway. All opinions stated are my own. I did receive free samples from Calivirgin and Vermont Creamery.
balsamic raspberry sauce and chèvre cake
yields: 4-6 servings
11 ounces raspberries, fresh
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (Calivirgin)
1/4 cup honey+ 2 tablespoons
2 ounces fresh chèvre cheese, at room temperature (Vermont Creamery)
1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher sea salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, full fat
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) sugar
1 teaspoon madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted + a little extra to grease the baking pan
1. Place half of the raspberries in a medium sized saucepan along with the balsamic vinegar and the 1/4 cup of honey. Heat the contents on medium-high flame and bring to a boil, immediately reduce and cook for 10-15 minutes. Mash the raspberries with a potato masher. At this point you can use the sauce as is or pass it through a sieve and press the pulp as much as you can to remove the seeds. Add the remaining raspberries to the sauce and keep aside.
2. Place the chèvre and remaining two tablespoons of honey in a small bowl and mix with fork.
3. Preheat the oven to 350F and place the wire rack at mid level in the oven. Lightly grease the baking pan with a little coconut oil. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt and keep aside.
3. In another medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the egg, coconut milk, sugar, vanilla, and coconut oil. Carefully fold the egg and coconut milk liquid into the whisked dry ingredients and mix until completely combined. Transfer the batter into the greased baking pan.
4. Randomly drizzle the raspberry mixture onto the cake batter and then using a silicone spatula or spoon create random swirls. Using a teaspoon drop small scoops of the sweetened chèvre on the surface of the cake. Bake the cake for at least 30 minutes or until the cake is completely cooked or until a knife comes out clean from the center of the cake.
Healthy Seasonal Recipes
Adventures in Cooking
Southern Boy Dishes
Yankee Kitchen Ninja
Mountain Mama Cooks
Cooking With Cakes
The Lemon Bowl