fig and zucchini bread
yields: 1 loaf (8 1/2 " X 4 1/2")
1 tablespoon walnut/olive oil + a little all purpose flour for coating the loaf pan.
1 lb zucchini
1 cup dried figs, chopped
2 large eggs
1/4 cup minus 1 tablespoon walnut oil/olive oil (I tried both separately)
1 teaspoon madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
3/4 cup ( 5 7/25 ounces) raw brown sugar
1/4 cup plain low-fat greek yogurt
4 1/4 ounces all purpose flour
4 1/4 ounces whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon dried ginger powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup (2 3/5 ounces) chopped walnuts
6 whole figs dried, thinly sliced across their length
1. Place a wire rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350F. Coat a 8 1/2" X 4 1/2" loaf pan with a little oil and dust with a little flour.
2. Trim the ends off the zucchini and grate them into fine shreds. Place the shredded zucchini into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Transfer the zucchini into a larger strainer lined with two layers of cheesecloth/muslin. Allow the zucchini to drain for about 30 minutes or until you have about 1 cup of liquid. Bring the ends of the cheesecloth together and squeeze the zucchini to release as much as liquid as possible. Discard the liquid (you can use this liquid to prepare smoothies/juices or stocks) and place the shredded zucchini in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the 1 cup of chopped dried figs to the zucchini along with the 2 large eggs, oil, vanilla, sugar and yogurt. Stir the contents together with a wooden spoon until combined.
4. In a separate bowl, quickly whisk the flours, ginger powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Quickly stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients in the large mixing bowl until combined. Fold the walnuts into the batter and then transfer the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Tap gently to release any trapped air bubbles. Place the thinly sliced whole figs in a single center row on top of the batter in the pan.
5. Bake for about 45-50 minutes, rotating the cake 180 degrees once during the baking process. The bread is done when the center is firm to touch or a knife should come out clean from the center of the bread. Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes in the pan and the run the edges of a knife around the cake. Remove and allow the bread to cool on a wire rack. Slice and serve as needed.
Note: This is a quick bread recipe. I recommend proceeding as quickly as possible to the baking stage as soon as you prepare the wet and dry ingredients. This will prevent excess liquid being released from the zucchini.